Saturday, September 17, 2011

Brownlee gets Olympic boost with world title

Brownlee gets Olympic boost with world title
Beijing: Britain`s Alistair Brownlee underlined his credentials as one of his country`s main hopes for Olympic gold at home next year by winning his second triathlon world title on Saturday.

The 23-year-old, who also won the 2009 championship, claimed the title with victory on the 2008 Olympic course in Beijing in one hour 48 minutes seven seconds.

"It`s nice to do it twice and show it`s not a fluke. I think that`s my 11th world series win so I`m racking them up, which is good as well," Brownlee said in a statement.

His younger brother Jonathan finished third on Saturday to secure second place in the standings, putting Britain in a strong position before the London 2012 Games.

"I feel good because I`m second in the world now, but the Olympics do seem a long way away," said Jonathan Brownlee. "I hope I`ve done enough to get selected."

Bureau Report

First Published: Saturday, September 10, 2011, 19:49

Thank for your comment. Your comment will be seen by our moderator..!


View the original article here

No comments: